"The ultimate aim of the art of Karate lies not in the victory or defeat, but in the perfection of character of its participants."
- Master Funakoshi Founder of Shotokan Karate - Do
Serious training for serious students.
Promulgation of the traditional Japanese Karate - do developed by the father of modern day karate, Master Gichin Funakoshi.
Develop the following qualities in NSK students:
Strength of Character - Strength of Spirit - Strength of Mind - Strength of Body
- Follow the Dojo Kun
- Show proper respect for other students at all times
- Bow to Shomen when entering and leaving the Dojo
- Bow to Sensei or any black belt known to be higher rank than Sensei - When in doubt, bow
- During opening and closing ceremonies - silence
- While waiting for your class to begin - keep the noise down
- No talking during class
- No gum
- No jewelry
- Keep your fingernails and toenails trimmed
- Keep your uniform clean
- Keep long hair tied back
- Be on time - tardiness is a sign of disrespect
- Do not leave practice without the permission of the instructor
- No profanity - in any language
If you cannot follow these rules of etiquette - please find another Dojo.
Dojo Kun (School Rules)
Seek Perfection of Character
Hitotsu, jinkaku kansei ni tsutomeru koto
Hitotsu, makoto no michi wo mamoru koto
Hitotsu, doryoko no seishin wo yashinau koto
Hitotsu, reigi wo omonzuro koto
Refrain from Violent Deeds
Hitotsu, kekki no yu wo imashimeru koto
Dojo Kun in Japanese